We drive growth and job creation for a more prosperous Australia, by facilitating economic transformation and boosting business competitiveness.
Industry 4.0 initiatives
Collaborating with Germany
The Prime Minister's Industry 4.0 Taskforce formalised information sharing and collaboration between Australia and Germany on Industry 4.0. This taskforce was established following the release of the Australia-Germany Advisory Group report, which recommended government and industry in both countries collaborate on Industry 4.0 and develop global standards.
On 25 April 2017, the taskforce signed a cooperation agreement with Germany’s Plattform Industrie 4.0. Australia is one of only five countries with cooperative agreements with Germany.
Adopting Industry 4.0 in Australia
The Industry 4.0 Testlabs in Australia report, released by the taskforce, explores the principles and framework for adopting Industry 4.0 in Australia by establishing testlabs. Standards Australia published a report on Industry 4.0 from an Australian Perspective as part of this work.
To strengthen the industry-led nature of the taskforce, it is now called the Industry 4.0 Advanced Manufacturing Forum and is hosted by Australian Industry Group. The forum continues work on:
- reference architectures, standards and norms
- research and innovation
- security of networked systems
- test laboratories, future of work, education and training
The $5 million Industry 4.0 Testlabs pilot program prepares businesses to transition to the smart factories of the future. The pilot program will establish Industry 4.0 Testlabs at five Australian universities.
Building on the recommendations of the Industry 4.0 Testlabs in Australia report, these testlabs will:
- provide a physical space for businesses and researchers to trial, explore and showcase Industry 4.0 technologies and processes
- enable educational institutions and industry, particularly small and medium enterprises, to collaborate
- develop skills needed to take full advantage of opportunities presented by Industry 4.0
The pilot program opened in September 2018 and will determine support for further test facilities.
To find out more, visit https://www.industry.gov.au/.